Creme Brulee French Toast
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
- Loaf of French Bread, Thickly Sliced
- 5 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Half and Half
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Grand Marnier (Can substitute orange juice if you prefer)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover with foil, and chill overnight.
- Next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees (if using a glass baking dish, you may want to let it warm to room temperature first according to original recipe).
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.
- Note: Don't be tempted to cook this at a higher temperature because the syrup will get very hard & sticky if overcooked in oven (although still delicious). Not that I know this from experience :)